Thank you for stumbling upon my blog - it's goal is to tell you all a bit of my experience in London during my 2 year stay. You can read more about the idea here. In this blog I will post some of my experiences, and give my advice, musings and tips for new Londoners in the hope that it will serve as inspiration, or at least, proof it can be done. Please feel free to comment, ask me a question or two, correct my grammar, whatever you please.

Sunday 19 September 2010

The Challenges of Dating an Engineer

I come from a family who, on my mother's side at least, are incredibly good at living life. Challenges face us every day, and if we do not embrace them, life becomes harder than it was in the first place. My boyfriend, does not see life this way. Oh no.

As I am leaving London in a few months, and the past 10 or so months my boyfriend and I have had together have been complete bliss, the lovely boy has decided that his mission for the next year is to find his way in to Australia, get a job, and then (once I graduate), contemplate a return to Europe for our future. Anyway, I'm getting off topic, there is plenty of time for romantic swooning later.

The problem is, getting a job in Australia is (as with anywhere) bound to be a challenge. Thus, as he hasn't recieved an instant 'yes! Frenchman, we love you, come over!' in the past week he has been searching - he is getting... well, discouraged is an understatement. My boyfriend speaks almost perfect English, has loads of contacts in the field - some of which extend to Australia, a degree from a fabulous university in France paired with an equally fabulous year long exchange to the UK (and it should be known, many Australians are at least closet Anglophiles), his career choice is not only incredibly relevant to Australia, but Australia is publishing news story after news story of how we are scouring the world looking for 20,000 of these sorts of people. Given its reputation for virtually unpassable immigration laws, the fact that Australia has made a) getting a visa outlandishly simple and b) basically opening the doors to the young ones is mindblowing, it would fill any Engineer with hope. Except, my boyfriend.

I try so hard to play the calm, collected and supportive girlfriend, which I am, but it's no easy feat. He contemplates giving up on his career and coming to Australia as a student (so much more expensive and much harder to get a visa), which is sweet, but to be leaning toward plan B one week in to a search is just mindboggling to me. 2 years ago, when I first made the decision to come to the UK I had no job prospects, was not a graduate of university, wasn't looking for any job in particular and it took me at least 3 months of waking up at 8am, going to an internet cafe, applying for job after job after job until my brain felt like it was going to explode, then coming home and willing the phone to ring. Social life was out of the question as I had only come with the bare minimum amount of wages I needed and that was dedicated to food and rent. After 3 months I found something temporary and, thankfully, by complete luck, I found something permanent from there. I was, judging by my account balance, about 3 weeks from having to give up and go home, it's not easy, whoever you are wherever you are in the world. You would think (given that it took him a month to find him an internship in his native France) that he would understand this and embrace it. Instead, he faces sleepless nights and unfulfilling plan B's.

Anyway, just a little rant. I love the man to pieces, I just wish he had an 8th of the optimism I have (and I am not an unrealistically optimistic person). Cross your fingers, I will keep you informed!

No comments:

Post a Comment